Insurance For Freelance Interpreters and Translators

The Difference Between Income Protection, Public Liability Insurance & Professional Indemnity Insurance
As a self-employed or freelance interpreter, it is vitally important to ensure you are protected against the worst happening – both in your life and in your business.   There are three types of insurance products that can help you do this:
1.Income Protection Cover – pays you a regular monthly income if you are unable to work due to illness, injury or accident.
2.Public Liability Insurance – protects your business against damage and if someone makes a legal claim against you.
3.Professional Indemnity Insurance – protects you against negligence claims and allegations made against you by clients because of mistakes you’ve made or things you’ve failed to do.
Things can sometimes go wrong
As an interpreter, your clients rely on you for your skills, expertise and knowledge of language. You’re expected to provide a professional service, working to the highest standards of accuracy and attention to detail.   Even with years of experience, there is always the possibility that an accident or mistake can happen. For example, you could make a mistake while working to a client’s tight translation deadline.   Even the tiniest error in translation could be disastrous & cost your client money.   Your sentences could include misleading messages or even cause offence, such issues could be damaging to the reputation of your client.   Should this happen, they may choose to claim against you for compensation.  The potential cost to you can be high as there are often legal expenses to consider and then any compensation costs to pay if a claim against you is successful, both of which could be financially determinantal to your business.
Professional indemnity insurance
As an interpreter, professional indemnity insurance is designed to protect you if things go wrong or if mistakes happen and a client makes a claim against you.   It covers negligence claims and allegations made against you by clients and third parties, because of mistakes and things you’ve failed to do. For example, errors or omissions in your interpreting work.   PII covers the cost of defending your business against allegations of professional negligence and the cost of damages awarded against you.   

If you are looking for indemnity insurance to cover your work as a self-employed linguist, why not reach out to our partners at PolicyBee and get a 10% discount on your annual premium.   Get your quote here:  

PolicyBee is a specialist, professional insurance broker with a knack for covering freelancers, sole traders, small businesses and charities. They’re independent and they’re digital.
Whatever you want to protect your business against, PolicyBee has a policy to help. That includes alleged mistakes in your work, claims for injuries to employees or visitors, or the cost of replacing equipment.
Over the years they’ve helped tens of thousands of individuals, businesses and charities get the insurance they need – quickly and easily, and without breaking the bank.
For a quick online quote visit,or call a jargon-busting adviser on 0345 222 5370.